Lesson 1, Topic 1
Signs Of Abuse – Physical Abuse
Physical abuse is the intentional act of causing injury to a child. Let’s have a look at what signs to look for:
- Look for Unusual bruises, welts, burns or fractures
- Bite marks
- Frequent injuries that are always explained as accidental
- Or If an explanation does not match the injury
- Also, look for children wearing long sleeves or other concealing clothing to hide injuries especially if the clothing is inappropriate for the type of weather.
Things to look for in a Child’s Behavior:
- Unpleasant, hard to get along with
- Unusually shy, avoiding other people
- May be too anxious to please
- Appears to be afraid of their parents
- They may show little or no distress at being separated from their parents
- Another indication is if a child flinches or withdraws when you approach them
- Children may also have problems with sleeping or nightmares or bedwetting, takes note of any changes in a child’s behavior as it may be important.